a popular Korean Egg dish
Korean Eggs Mayak Gyeran is a popular Korean dish that is made with marinated eggs. The eggs are usually marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and chili pepper flakes. Mayak Gyeran is a great side dish or appetizer that can be enjoyed with rice or noodles.
Korean Eggs or Mayak Gyeran is originated from the Joseon Dynasty. It was a popular dish among the royal family and the upper class. The name Mayak Gyeran comes from the two words “mayak” which means drug or medicine, and “gyeran” which means egg. It is believed that this dish was created as a way to help people recover from illness.
Check Out Busan South Korea
Things to know before making Korean Eggs
- Use fresh eggs for the best results.
- The marinade can be adjusted to your liking. If you like it sweeter, add more sugar to the mixture. If you want it spicier, add more chili pepper flakes.
- Korean Eggs can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Try serving Korean Eggs with rice and kimchi for a complete meal.
- You can also add other vegetables to the marinade such as carrots, onions, or mushrooms.
Choosing the right ingredients is important when making Korean Eggs. Use high-quality soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar for the best results.
Light Soy Sauce vs. Dark Soy Sauce
- Light soy sauce is the most commonly used type of soy sauce in Korean cooking. It has a light brown color and a milder flavor.
- Dark soy sauce is made with fermented soybeans and has a darker color. It is often used for marinating meats or as a dipping sauce.
You can use either Korean Corn Syrup, White Sugar or Brown Sugar for this recipe. Brown Sugar will give the eggs a deeper flavor.
Let’s start making Korean Eggs! SEE THE FULL RECIPE BELOW!